Thursday, May 17, 2012

Breakfast


This morning just so happened to be Oatmeal morning. (These happen every Monday and Thursday). Which is my husband and my favorite morning. It's quick, easy, healthy, and just plain tasty. Now, let me be honest, I used to hate oatmeal with a passion. I would go out of my way to avoid eating it. So how did it become my favorite you ask. One word: Muesli.

Wikipedia has this to say about Muesli: ('mju:zlɪ/ or /'mu:zlɪ/; Swiss German: Müesli [ˈmyəz̥li], Standard German: Müsli) is a popular breakfast meal based on uncooked rolled oats, fruit and nuts.

If you ever read my "Cooking Swiss" blog, you'll know that up until a year ago we pretty much lived for our version of this dish. It was yogurt with fresh fruit mixed in, topped with granola. In Switzerland, it was flavored yogurt, fruit and granola. Once I got back home, it was plain, whole yogurt with jam, fruit and granola. Then we moved to Non-fat, yogurt. Then we started making our own jam and granola. Then we omitted most dairy from our life. I swore our Muesli days were over for good.

Not so. After getting tired of smoothies and salads for breakfast (yes, you heard me, salads). I did the unthinkable. I asked my husband to make oatmeal. I ate it, but even with all the honey in the world, I wasn't in love. Then, one morning, epiphany! I placed a spoonful of wonderful, seasonal, fresh fruit salad on top. Love was born. Here is the result:

Muesli Oatmeal
Serves 2

1 cup water
2/3 cup old-fashioned rolled oats (we use Gluten-Free)
2 tsps cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
2 tbsps raisins
1 tsps coconut oil (Raw is best)

2-3 cups seasonal, fresh fruit salad
(Shown above is 1 banana, 1 kiwi, 1/4 cantaloupe, 3 strawberries)

Preparation
1. Bring water to a boil in a small sauce pan. Add in oats, cinnamon and salt, and reduce heat. After a minute stir in raisins.
2. Cook uncovered for 5 minutes, or until done, stirring occasionally. Turn off the heat and stir in the oil.
3. Serve and top with fruit salad.

Until next time...

- Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment